Social Service Professionals
Social Workers, QMRPs and other social service professionals are important members of the treatment team. Your role may include:
- Educating the patient and family about epilepsy.
- Providing community outreach education programs.
- Assisting in identifying and obtaining resources such as special education programs, respite centers (where a child or adult with special needs can spend some time so that caregivers can rest), home health aides, medical insurance benefits, vocational rehabilitation centers, and referrals to psychologists and other mental health workers.
- Helping persons with epilepsy who have experienced discrimination by referring them to advocacy groups such as the local Protection and Advocacy Service, Legal Aid Society, an attorney specializing in this subject, or the Epilepsy Foundation.
- Informing the doctor about issues that may have a bearing on medical problems.
- Helping in crisis situations by referring patients to doctors or epilepsy centers.
- Providing, or referring clients for, neuropsychological testing.
- If a licensed clinical social worker, providing counseling.